Monday, April 28, 2008

She's No Humpty Dumpty

Today was a traumatic day in our household. Well, it started out fine then went downhill around 4:30pm.

As you know, Analise has started walking. Sometimes she walks fast enough that I have to run to catch up to her. The thing is, she isn't very steady just yet and relies on stable objects to break her fall. That didn't quite work out for her today.

She was walking towards her bouncer and misjudged the distance. Then she just bit it! HARD! Nose first into the walker. Of course, she screamed bloody murder and rightly so! It was like watching it in slow motion. Adam & I were both within two feet of her and there was nothing we could do to stop it. We tried.

I picked her up and took her to the kitchen. We wet a cloth and patted her nose. To which we see a small cut on her nose. It really did look painful. Adam goes, "Shannon, she split her nose." It was just awful...I felt so bad. I cried because I couldn't fix it. Ugh, the agony..

So, we loaded her up in the car and headed to the local hospital. Before we got there we decided we should go to a hospital in the city. We were concerned she would need stitches on/in her nose and we wanted her to get the best care possible. We then turned around and headed to the city. She was such a trooper and she had stopped crying before we even left the house. She then proceeded to nap for the next 45 minutes. Don't worry, it really was her naptime so we knew it was ok.

We go into the ER and they fast track her because of her age and injury. This is her in triage.

Then we get called back to the treatment room. Here she is showing out for her DaDa.

Then it all hit the fan. The doctor wrapped her up like a burrito with a sheet. He then proceeded to clean the wound and check her out. Here are her thoughts on that process...


She ended up with a laceration to the nose. They were able to seal it with super glue. NO STITCHES!!! Thank God!! Truly thank God. I prayed on the way to the hospital that we would get the right person at the right time to help Analise. The Doctor was great and the hospital was superb! We were so glad we chose to go there! Get this, we were in and out in less than an hour! HONEST!! That in itself was a miracle!

She discovered her hospital ID on the way home. She was so cute trying to get it off.

She has officially been dubbed perma-snot. The super glue makes it look like she has a huge snot rolling out her nose! I highlighted it for you!

This is her on the way home. She was exhausted and I think her face hurt. Poor thing. When we got home she was back to her usual self. Playing and walking too fast! That girl!!

Retrospect:
-I think this cemented our decision to move closer to the city.
-My husband, I am so proud of him. He just doted on her the whole time. I love him so much!!
-I hope that you all never experience this. Although she was fine, the things that run through your mind prior to hearing the Doctor's diagnosis can be crippling. If you let it.
-My child is one tough little egg. I'm glad they put her nose back together.

19 comments:

Kerry said...

It's awful, but I didn't enjoy those first few months of walking. It's cute, of course, but they aren't steady and haven't yet learned how to put their hands out to break their falls yet. Cameron took a bad dive and I really thought he broke his nose. We were off to the hospital doctor for x-rays. It was an awful feeling.

Bless her heart.

Anonymous said...

our poor baby we are glad shes ok she is like her cousin devin he tripped on a water hose outside and busted his nose on a 4 wheeler peg his aunts were watching him lol no stitches for hin either but we thought he had broke his nose so off to the hospital we were

Alleen said...

I am definitely going to have a heart attack before all is said and done, so I know how you feel!!

When Gabriella got burned, I was beyond upset, but since I was alone, I had to somehow hold it together. When DH met us at the dr's office, I went outside and LOST it. I still look at the scar on her chest and feel so terribly and hope it heals eventually.


I'm glad she is ok and hope this is the worst of it for a while.

metromom said...

Awww~ Be so glad there were no stitches. Sheer misery!

BTW...what is THE City? Would you have to give up horses?

explain!

Anonymous said...

What a brave girl! It seems as parents, we have a harder time with injuries than they do! :)

Shannon said...

Metromom,

Please note I said "closer" to the city not "to" the city. I know, you really just want me to move to Scottsdale!!

BTW- When someone who lives in Oklahoma refers to "the city" it means Oklahoma City. I'm sure the other Oklahomans who read this blog can attest to this fact!

Tricia said...

Ohhhhhhhhh, girl! Bless her heart! And you, too! That is SO stressful!

Victoria received her first ever stitches while I was in Guatemala visiting Sofia WITHOUT Victoria....I still feel major mommy guilt over that!

Glad she is on the mend!

Tricia said...

Ohhhhhhhhh, girl! Bless her heart! And you, too! That is SO stressful!

Victoria received her first ever stitches while I was in Guatemala visiting Sofia WITHOUT Victoria....I still feel major mommy guilt over that!

Glad she is on the mend!

Jenn said...

Poor thing! I'm glad she didn't need stiches!

I think it's agreat idea for you to move closer to the city:)

metromom said...

you suck.

There are lots of horses and stuff here...ya know.

I didn't know if you meant T-Town.
I forgot what part of the boon docks you lived in!

Shelby said...

So glad she was spared stitches. Our kids are so resilient. Even after 2 boys I fear Breahna is going to be my emergency room kid. She has no fear and has to do what her brothers are doing...

Sarah said...

Shannon... seriously... that baby is just the cutest little cupcake ever... even with her poor little boo boo on her nose and permasnot (LOL).

I love all her adorable little outfits too, and of course... the bow! Where did you get that brown check smocked bubble? ADORABLE!

So sorry that you all had to endure that race to the ER... I have a sneaky suspicion it won't be her last.

Big hugs to all of you!!

Jill said...

BIG ((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail said...

Oh Shannon, I almost cried just reading this. I'm glad it wasn't too bad and I have one question for you. Did you quickly change her into that white shirt before leaving the house? I see no blood on it. LOL
Gail

Anonymous said...

Oh please bring that perma-snot baby to see her favorite Auntie Chris.....you made a very wise decision to go to the city and see an ER doc, I would've done the same thing. I'm sure I told you about the time the school called to tell me Reese had an accident on the playground and he needed stitches...do you see how short & sweet that was-it seems like it took them 10 minutes just to tell me those 25 words....then the teacher proceeded to tell me after all was said and done that she was never happier to see Ran walking in the door to get Reese to take him to the ER...what is she trying to say? I'm a spastic mom??? Who me! NO WAY!!! :)
I'm glad AJ is recovering and I'm glad you are okay....sometimes I wonder who takes it harder-the baby or the mom?
One more thing.....seriously, are you considering moving to the city? Pray on that one! :) I don't get to see you enough as it is!

LouLou said...

Poor little sweetie! When Logan was 13 months old he fell on my mama's bed and ended up with 4 stitches below his eye. He was all wrapped up like a burrito, and he didn't like it one little bit. Glad to hear all she needed was the glue....

Stacie said...

My goodness! Poor girl! I am so glad they didn'have to do stitches on that sweet baby. What a brave little trooper!

Have a great weekend!
Stacie

Cherrie said...

What a brave little girl...poor
thing. That glue they use is amazing...I just read somewhere that people actually use real super glue instead of going to the hospital!!

I got to the last picture and instantly thought she looks like Cameo's V! Wow.

My kids are 9,11 & 14. I would like to tell you it gets easier, but, it doesn't. My little one had a collision on the baseball field 2 weeks ago and it took my breathe away. He was fine, just sore...took one for the team!

I have a new email address:

uric@connecttime.net

Cherrie